Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Chocolate Pecan Pie

Though I do think Paula Deen is a little bit of a hillbilly red-neck, today I baked her Chocolate Pecan Pie, and was forced to fall in love with her. Or better yet, fall deeper in love with myself. For those who are not familiar with the Queen of Southern Cooking, Paula Deen is the creator of things such as the Bacon Doughnut Egg Burger. Thankfully, this creation was not so deadly, and as I converted it to being both dairy and gluten free, I'm sure my arteries are safe for the time being. I used the Molly B's Perfect Pie Crust mix. Molly B's is a fantastic gluten-free family run company out of Southern Ontario (fitting for my Southern pie) that have an extensive line of gluten-free products. To make it dairy free, I just substituted the call for butter with Earth Balance. Heaven on earth, let me tell you.

I did receive a comment from a friend of mine asking me "Just because she can cook, you're going to ignore her ignorant views?" Though I do agree with what she is getting at, I feel I will love Paula Deen the same way I love most southern rock - entirely on the surface.

No comments: